The 7 Dimensions of Singing are a clear way to divide different aspects of the voice. This is based on their physical location and muscle function.
- Flexibility – Pliability (responsiveness) of the vocal folds
- Breathing – Breath management
- Intonation – Pitch control
- Range – Vocal balance (muscle coordination) from lowest to highest pitch
- Tone – Quality of sound
- Articulation – Diction
- Strength – Stability and stamina of the voice
The dimensions can also, instantly reveal the most developed skills and imbalances students may have as a singer. Understanding their strengths and weaknesses will allow students to better identify their skills and excel at and which exercises are needed to target imbalances.