HOW YOUR VOICE ACTUALLY WORKS!
THE VOCAL GYM WILL HELP YOU:
• Sing in key and improve riffs and vocal runs
• Release muscle tension interfering with high notes
• Balance your voice in any and all styles of music
• Transition between registers and remove breaks
• Sing for longer periods without fatigue
• Identify your vocal strengths and weaknesses
• Develop awareness throughout your instrument
• Reduce vocal fold inflammation and prevent fatigue
• Sing with more power and projection
• Develop a strong and healthy voice
• Adapt songs to fit YOUR voice and skill level
• Adjust any unwanted tonal sounds (ie: “nasal”)
• Never run out of breath when singing
• Understand the myths behind singing
• Remove psychological barriers keeping you from your potential
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Yes… and no! The Vocal Gym isn’t like any other online learning platform. It isn’t just a collection of exercises, or abstract concepts. It centers around breaking the voice down into 7 easy to process dimensions, that make it much easier to learn to master your voice.
Just like any professional athlete focused on improving a specific element of their sport, singers can focus on specific areas of their voice while doing customized vocal exercises. Combined with tools, to track your progress learning how to sing has never been simpler.
After you complete your free Vocal Profile Assessment, you will have instant access to the Vocal Gym Dashboard where you can explore your unique vocal fingerprint. See where you excel and areas we can focus more on. Not only that you can communicate with other students, parents or teachers in the community, get free vocal advice as well as find yourself a Certified Throga Instructor to help compliment the many online courses available in the Vocal Gym.
The Vocal Gym features several training courses to choose from. Below is a brief description of our current courses with more in development. If you have already registered by taking your free Vocal Profile Assessment, you can view a more detailed breakdown on the My Courses page from the Vocal Gym dashboard:
- Vocal Gym Basic: Though not technically a curriculum based course to “complete”, your free Vocal Gym membership includes several guided exercises, vocal development tools and features for you to start training your voice and measure your progress right away! It also allows you access to communicate with other members, book private lessons and use our payment gateway.
- Vocal Gym Course (Recommended): Our flagship course is a fully interactive and customizable training course designed to help you discover and develop your vocal skills to your fullest potential! The course includes everything in the Vocal Gym Basic, plus access to patented techniques, hundreds of easy to follow lesson videos, assignments and quizzes to reinforce the learning process, a pattern vault, picture glossary, downloadable MP3s, live lesson events, vocal journal, Certificate of Completion and much more.
- VG Advanced Course: This course is designed for more experienced singers and vocal teachers. It includes access to the Vocal Gym Course in addition to the advanced version, which is taught entirely by Throga’s founder, Richard Fink IV. This is perfect for those interested in taking a deeper look into the anatomy of the voice with more challenging quizzes, real world assignments and the all new Exercise Generator (coming soon!).
- VG Homeschool Course: The homeschool version of the Vocal Gym is nearly identical to the main Vocal Gym Course, except that the curriculum is monitored by the student's parent/guardian and includes a Toolbox Course. The toolbox is accessible to the parent only, and allows them to pace the course, modify assignments, provide answer keys and other guides to assure their child is learning and truly benefiting from everything the course has to offer.
- Beyond The Gym: This course is a resource included with the Vocal Gym, Advanced and Homeschool Course subscriptions. In addition to WEEKLY new lesson content, this is where you will find links to live lessons, highly specialized vocal exercises and exclusive vocal tip videos to take your voice beyond the Vocal Gym and on to the stage!
As a parent, you will have access to monitor your child’s progress throughout the course remotely, regardless of which course you subscribe to. However, the Homeschool version also includes a Toolbox Course, which provides you with exclusive video guides, quiz keys and assignment breakdowns, so that you can safely guide your child throughout the course. It also allows you to see your child’s practice time and measured progress to include in your documentation when submitting evidence for Homeschool credit.
If you registered as a parent and would like to subscribe to the Vocal Gym Course yourself, switch your dashboard view to “Individual/Student” from the main dropdown menu. You can simply switch back to “Parent” view anytime to access your children’s lessons and/or course progress.
Many students use the Vocal Gym course as a supplement to their private singing lessons. This way they can focus on vocal technique with access to all of the Vocal Gym exercises and Pattern Vault to maximize their practice. Plus, your teacher (Throga Certified or not) can monitor your progress to provide additional guidance and feedback.
Absolutely! The course is designed for singers of all skill levels. If you have little or no experience as a singer, or want to go back and study the basics, we have you covered in the first several lessons of the Vocal Gym course. Additionally, the exercises presented throughout the course are customizable, so that you always have the appropriate degree of challenge to progress to the next level.
The Vocal Gym Course uses techniques that are safe and beneficial to singers of all ages! However, we recommend children under the age of 13 to explore the course with a parent, teacher or an older, more experienced, singer. Although the course is not created to monitor and measure more than one person’s progress, assisting a young singer will allow you to learn along with them and enable you to encourage and guide them as needed. Just be sure to let them make mistakes and discover imbalances on their own first!
Whether you’re in your 50s, 70s or even 90s, you’re never too old to start singing! Singing is a lifelong journey; it doesn't matter where you begin, or continue learning. Should you have any specific questions or challenges once you’ve started the course, you are always welcome to reach out to our Certified Throga Instructors in the private Facebook Group to assist you.
Yes! Live lessons are available through the Beyond The Gym course. This includes both group sessions with several Vocal Gym members, as well as 1-on-1 opportunities with a Certified Throga Instructor for others to watch and learn from. Private lessons are also available by clicking on the lesson schedule from your student dashboard.
Video lessons are not available for download. However, you can download practice MP3s from the Pattern Vault (included in the Vocal Gym Course) and course assignments. Please note that playing downloaded MP3s from your device will not get automatically calculated into your weekly training goals.
The Throga App (iOS and Android compatible) is free to use. It includes a vocal blog, practice tracks, book related media and direct access to the Vocal Gym and courses for paid subscribers.
Absolutely. If you don’t already have a teacher or organization to help you, there are two ways to contact our Certified Throga Instructors: Post your question in the private Facebook Group or send a direct message to our support team by scrolling down to the bottom of the lesson page you are inquiring about. If your question goes beyond the expertise of our general support, it will be immediately forward to one of our instructors to assist you directly.
Access to the Vocal Gym dashboard is free. Forever. This includes the Vocal Profile assessment, 7 guided vocal exercises, and interaction with all of the Certified Throga Instructors for general questions and feedback. After that, you can choose a subscription plan (monthly, annual or lifetime) to start the Vocal Gym Course with over 300 videos, a pattern vault, live streaming lessons, and much much more. If you’re still not sure, we recommend trying the monthly plan for only $59! This way, you can have access to the entire program for a full 30 days with zero obligation to continue. That's 24 hour access for an entire month to hundreds of exclusive videos and lessons for less money than the national average of a 1 hour private lesson.
Without a doubt! As long as you take the time to apply what you are learning, you will absolutely see REAL changes in both your awareness and skills as a singer. The techniques and exercises you will learn are designed to adapt to whatever your current needs are so that you continually progress. Like any other physical activity, the more you practice/repeat something with good form, the deeper your mental programing (muscle memory) becomes, and the quicker you will improve.
The beauty of this online course is that you can go at your own pace, on your own schedule. These lessons are available anywhere you have internet, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week! This way you can watch a lesson, practice a guided exercise, or read about singing whenever you want. If you have to skip a day, two, or even a week, you can pick right back up where you left off. Of course, if you stop vocalizing or singing for several weeks, or even months, it will take some time for your voice to respond at the same level you were when you stopped, but it will be much faster than it was the first time you built those skills up!
Yes! We have both online and in-person opportunities to perform and share your voice. Although the premise of the Vocal Gym is to train and build skills for singing, the Beyond the Gym members (included in the Vocal Gym course subscriptions) are invited to participate in monthly live events online, where they can interact with other members and perform with direct feedback from Certified Throga Instructors. We also encourage you to share your recorded singing videos on the private Facebook Group with the Vocal Gym community. In-person performance opportunities include Throga Retreats, studio recording (at Throga Records) and convention style events at various locations (these events are currently paused due to COVID traveling and performance restrictions).
To start with, we truly care about each and every one of our Vocal Gym members and feel strongly that the more people we can help to embrace their voice, build self-worth and express themselves with joy in their heart, the better the world will become. Meaning, we believe that cultivating a safe and positive environment for people to grow as singers (and humans) is more valuable than the number of sales we make! This is why we offer several free vocal exercises, video tips and personal feedback on singing to ALL of our members, not just our paid subscribers. That said, we have several standout features that are, in the very least, unique, and won’t be found anywhere else:
- Vocal Profile Assessment to monitor and measure progress
- The patented 7 Dimensions of Singing to accurately identify skill levels
- Customizable exercises that truly assist ALL singers in ANY style of singing
- Our system auto-tracks and journals your practice time towards weekly goals
- Advanced users can generate their own exercises to target desired vocal dimensions
- Interaction with Certified Throga Instructors - you are never alone in your journey!
If you are working with a teacher or homeschool program that is integrating the lessons into a curriculum, the Vocal Gym Course can easily be spread out over a year’s time to provide the appropriate practice time in between private and/or classroom lessons. If you are taking the course on your own, you can move at any pace that feels right for you! Like a good book, many singers often repeat the same lessons, if not the entire course, several times to get the most out of it! The course is rich with information and even professionals repeat the basics while exploring new challenges to stay in peak performance throughout their career. Alternatively, you could push through the entire Vocal Gym Course inside of a single month. Though this can be useful to get a feel for everything in the course, along with absorbing a ton of new information, it is not recommended. Binge watching videos and rushing through assignments will not magically advance your voice without putting the hours of practice in, needed to fully benefit from what you will learn. After all, creating new mental programs and physical behaviors takes a whole lot of repetition. And because singing is a lifetime love for many, we always have something new for you to explore in the Beyond The Gym course (included with the Vocal Gym Courses) with weekly exclusive content added. Whatever you decide, don’t feel rushed and go at your own pace. You will continue to see growth regardless of how “fast” you are going and as always, we are here to help you along the way!
If I complete a course, can I re-watch the videos and retake the quizzes and assignments again in the future?
As many times as you like! So long as you have an active subscription, or are a lifetime member, there is no limit to how many times you can play videos or MP3s. You will never be limited to a one-time viewing.
Vocal Gym Basic is completely FREE! The Vocal Gym Course is just $33/month (with an annual subscription) with Lifetime Membership discounts available! For a detailed breakdown, visit the My Courses page from the Student Dashboard (login required).
Having an awareness of new concepts and exploring new exercises can have an instant positive effect on your voice! Since the course presents everything from an anatomical (scientific) perspective, it is common for singers to ‘get it’ quickly and notice some changes right away. However! Any lasting behaviors and improvement of skill will require a tremendous amount of practice. So the length of time it takes to reach your goals depends on how often you practice your new training, how effectively you apply the new techniques and how much mental “re-writing” is needed if you are starting off with poor habits. Changes can happen quickly, but quality results will take time and devotion to your craft.
Upon successfully completing any of the Vocal Gym Courses (this includes all lessons, assignments and quizzes with a score of 80% or higher) you will automatically receive a downloadable, date-stamped, PDF that you can print and show your teachers and share with others. In addition, you will be awarded up to seven badges for every dimension section you successfully complete within the course!
In short, no. The Homeschool Course is designed to spark interaction between you and your child to assure a productive learning experience, but it is not required for you to use the Homeschool Toolbox for parents for them to complete the course on their own. Regardless of your desired level of involvement, you will have continuous access to monitor your child's course progress, assignment completion and quiz grades throughout the process.
If you are a current subscriber of the Vocal Gym Course and are excited to share what you’ve learned with others, you may be able to receive 20% of all referred members. Additionally, your monthly Vocal Gym Course and Beyond the Gym subscription fees will be waived once you reach 5 active affiliate members! Here is how the affiliate program works:
- Visitor clicks on an affiliate link on your site or in an email
- The visitor's IP is logged and a cookie is placed in their browser for tracking purposes
- The visitor decides to register by taking a free Vocal Profile Assessment
- If the visitor subscribes to any of the Vocal Gym Course options anytime after they’ve registered, it will automatically be credited to your affiliate account
- You will receive commission payouts on the 1st of every month
Yup, it’s that simple - you provide us with business, we send you money!! That said, here are a few details to consider:
- You must have a positive online reputation and/or are directly interacting with students as a private vocal coach, arts teacher (ie: guitar, piano, dance, acting) or choir director.
- All U.S. affiliate participants must provide their Social Security or Taxpayer ID number in order to file a 1099 for every year you earn more than $600 worth of payouts
- You can not receive credit for referring yourself
- Anyone caught violating or attempting to circumvent these rules will have all affiliate credit voided, no longer receive payouts and banned from participating in any future programs
Ready to get started?! Awesome! Contact us to let us know and we’ll help you earn some extra money while spreading the love of singing.
CREATOR OF THE 7 DIMENSIONS OF SINGING
Richard Fink IV is the founder of Throga®, #1 Best-Selling Author in vocal education and labeled as the “world’s leading online vocal coach” by the Wall Street Journal. He has worked with singers in over 100 countries around the world, including multi-platinum selling artists, professional actors, political leaders, and Broadway stars.
As a vocalist, Richard is a 3x Guinness World Record holder and award-winning singer for solo performances as Jesus (Jesus Christ Superstar) and Jean Valjean (Les Miserables). He released multiple albums as a songwriter and vocal-producer between 1991 and 2005, which led to co-writing and demoing songs for top charting artists such as Josh Groban and Michael Jackson.
Other career highlights as a vocal coach include adjudicating the 2016-2017 Voice of Dance Life Unite in Australia and Suncane Skale televised throughout Europe, coaching at Talent Camp at Universal Studios, and teaching Masterclasses at various Universities. Richard’s crowning achievement, however, was becoming the only person in U.S. history to be awarded a full-utility patent on a vocal training technique with the 7 Dimensions of Singing.