What’s the Best Microphone for Your Voice?
Put simply, the “best” vocal microphone for your voice is the one that’s the best match, and like any match, when you find it you will have a partner for life!
Your voice is like your fingerprint, it has its own unique blend of sonic characteristics. That’s why voice biometrics/identification software is now being successfully used by corporations to identify their customers. There are simply infinite combinations of voice qualities. Similarly, all microphones are created different. Each has their own unique internal EQ (equalization) curve that makes it unique, so, put simply, not every mic will be great at capturing your distinctive sound.
EQ in music is the process of changing the balance of different frequency components in an audio signal. The sound quality of a microphone mainly depends on its frequency response to the audio input. So without understanding what audio feed is, it would be pointless just to pick out a random microphone from a shelf, you need to try it. It’s the combination of singer and amplification that’s key to picking out your ideal microphone.
Start by trying out this simple two mic test.
- Start with two mics that sound different. You could try a condenser and a dynamic or two dynamics with different frequency responses so one that sound’s bright and another that’s denser in sound.
- Set them up on mic stands side by side. Run them both into the same pre-amp.
- Create and arm two mono audio tracks in whatever digital audio workstation (DAW) you use, and label them according to the mics.
- Hit record and sing your favourite verse and chorus of a song.
- Go back to your DAW, level match the different vocal tracks and listen back and forth.
- Which one makes you sound better?
If this method doesn’t work for you at least you will get to understand the qualities of the mic you have tested on. Down the track your voice might change and the one you tested that day may turn out to be a better fit down the track. Go on, give it a go and make a new friend!