15-Minute Daily Vocal Gym Challenge
Do you need a jumpstart or restart in developing consistency in your daily vocal gym
(skill training)? Doing things in small bites consistently is a great way to build habits.
If this is you, I invite you to take on this daily challenge:
- (1) 5 minute warm up
- (1) 10 minute workout exercise
Even just 15 minutes a day consistently can get you into better habits. Of course, more time would be better, but everyone can find 15 minutes!
Contrary to popular theory, it takes more than 21 days to form new habits.
Studies show it actually takes most people about 66 days to form a new habit; roughly 2 months. Studies also show that if you miss a day here or there when you’re trying to develop a habit, it doesn’t derail the process, so don’t get discouraged, if you can’t keep a perfect track record. The first days seem to make the biggest difference, so it’s worth trying to be particularly diligent at the beginning, as you strive to create new habits. Do your best to string consecutive days together, yet keep going no matter what until you complete 66 days.
I recommend you schedule it in as early in the day as possible to get it done. Make your skill training as fundamental as brushing your teeth, or getting physical exercise (which by the way is a great body warm-up).
- Print out calendars for a 2-month span and pencil in the times. 2020 blank monthly calendars
- Schedule it in: In pencil (in case you need to change the time) write down your Vocal Gym appointment time. Also schedule a reminder on your SmartPhone.
- Hang the printed calendars in your practice space.
- After your Warm-up (Flexibility-based), target a different dimension daily for your vocal workout exercise (Breathing, Intonation, Range, Tone, Articulation, and Strength) and write the targeted dimension on your calendar.
- Use a timer to do your exercises.
- Write the word “DONE” on each day on the calendar after it’s complete.
- Remember to stay hydrated during before, during, and after your training.
- Follow the Throga Guidelines for good form and best results in doing each exercise!
You’re on your way to developing a consistent routine that you can grow and modify as needed. As you pass each week, feel free to add 5 minutes if you’re ready to extend your time, but maintain at least 15 minutes daily. The reward will be in your singing! If you take this challenge on, please post below and let us know how it’s going for you. You’ve got this!